"When our eyes see our hands doing the works of out hearts, the circle of creation is completed inside us, the doors of our soul flies open and love steps forth to heal everything in signt"

-- Michael Bridge

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Carbon Copying with the Bald Dragonfly!!!

Hi there happy Wednesday! Today I’m so super excited to be joining the utterly fabulous Karen Baker {of The Bald Dragonfly Blog) for her weekly Carbon Copy feature!

I love Karen’s blog and every single project she creates - plus she’s absolutely one of the sweetest and kindest people ever!!!! If you don’t know what Carbon Copying is, it’s a fun challenge that Karen started over on her blog that goes live every Wednesday. Basically, she and another blogger ((that’s ME today)) choose a challenge - or a few - and use the same stamps and come up with two unique projects according to their own style! If you are interested in playing along, go and add your name to Mr. Linky here.

So, anyway, today we are playing along with this Lily Pads Sketch {which I flipped}:

and the Wee Memories #68 Challenge:

and using Lawn Fawn’s Critters in the Sea and Sophie’s Sentiments Stamps. Here is what I came up with:

Ok, so, I know I’m really reaching as far as the sketch goes, I just had this idea in my head. Every time I tried to deviate from it, I didn’t like what I came up with (and I tried 3 times!). In the end I went with my gut. My inspiration for this card is a little boy in my daughter’s preschool class, Carter. I’ve been friends with his mom for a long time and our kiddos are 3 months apart. She is also the co-director of the school and goes to my church. For the past year he’s been having a lot of health issues, they’re not exactly sure what’s going on but trying to get answers now. Alivia just LOVES him to pieces! This is the 2nd year they are in class together. Anyway, he had surgery last Wednesday and I wanted to make a card for the family to make them smile.

There are a lot of elements on the card. Everything started off as white cardstock and was colored or inked. No patterned paper is actually a toughy for me, but I did end up liking the result. To start, I used Masking Paper and Distress Inks (a mix of Old Paper, Pumice Stone, Antique Linen, and Tea Dye) to create my “sand” - creating 3 layers. Next I went to work on the “ocean”. I just took a 3x5 piece of cardstock and Distress Inked that up starting at the bottom with the darkest color (Faded Jeans) and working my way up in color (next was Broken China and then Tumbled Glass). Then I cut it to the size I actually needed and crinkled it into a ball. Opened it, sprayed it with water and ran the Broken China over the whole thing. Then I adhered the sand/ocean down to the card base. I stamped the sentiment “thinking of you” which sadly gave me issues because I adhered the ocean to the sea BEFORE stamping the sentiment. It happens. Anyway, then I went to town stamping, coloring, & adhering my sea critters. You really can’t tell but I used my Copic Glittery Pen on the sea grass, turtle’s spots, and whale’s splash. I popped up the whale for dimension and added pearls to the clams and that was all she wrote.

If you haven’t yet, hop over to Karen’s blog to see what she’s come up with!!

Well, that’s all for me today! Have an amazing day!

9 comments:

  1. aww those critters in the sea are sooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card will definitely make them smile! So much attention to detail on this card. Just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooooo very fun...love the scene that you created! Soooo CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one seriously amazing card, and a powerful story to go with it. Love the water and the critters, it truly looks like your sea has come to life! Thank you so much for joining me today, and for reaching out of your comfort zone to not use any patterned paper. I think your card turned out amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable card, thanks for playing at Wee Memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous...I feel like I'm swimming with the sea critters! :) I love your sparkly accents as well. I am sure your friends will truly appreciate this card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card looks like a page out of a children's book (and that's a compliment). Yeah for Carbon Copy creations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this... Love this water scene. I feel like i am there!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely card. this card make me smile. Thanks so much for playing along with the Wee Memories :)

    ReplyDelete