"When our eyes see our hands doing the works of out hearts, the circle of creation is completed inside us, the doors of our soul flies open and love steps forth to heal everything in signt"

-- Michael Bridge

Thursday, September 30, 2010

My Christmas Card "Prototype" ;)

Ok, I've been itching to make Christmas Cards ever since I got Lawn Fawn's new Cozy Christmas Stamps. This will be my first year making my own Christmas cards. **SCARY** I usually go to Costco and buy the 6x7 1/2 photo Christmas cards because, well, I like sending pictures to friends/family at Christmas time, it's super easy, they always have really cute card templates, and... did I mention, IT'S SUPER EASY!! Also, I usually don't buy seasonal/holiday stamps. I just get so sad to file them away till next year, and (mainly) I like to spend my cash on something I can use any time of year - but these sweet stamps were SO hard for me to resist!!! The smiles (on almost everything) just made me so darn happy!! Also, I had fallen in LOVE with Basic Grey's "Jovial" line and thought it would be perfect for Christmas cards!

So I had a dilema. I love sending pictures, but wanted to make my own cards this year...hmmm... So, I thought "I'll just make the cards, and throw in a picture of the kids... that'll work!" but then i got the idea to make my own picture card a-la-costco.

So...after receiving my 2Peas box-o-goodies, I went to town stamping away. Then there was the cutting, and let me tell you, IT WAS ALOT OF CUTTING (at this point, I'm at over 300 lil' pieces - but I LOVE the paper pieced look, so it'll be worth it in the end!!). Last night, I finished my first card :D. I decided to use 4 stockings (cause we're a family of 4, of course) and I also thought it would be super cute to emboss "HO! HO! HO!" with (Hardold ABCs) inside the fireplace. It just seemed like a fun idea to me. I used Copics to color the top of the glass and the bottom of the cookie plate. So, here is the finished product:


I love it!! I've only made one so far, my "prototype" (hee hee) because, honestly, my brain was literally to exhausted to go any further after all the good stuff mentioned above. Plus, I figured I just needed to complete one fully (for peace of mind and happiness), then this weekend I'll go to town. The only difference will be 1. the bakers twine (apparently I'm out of red/while?!?!?, so for this card, I used Martha Stewart's plain red bakers twine) however, I just ordered more red/white twine (from Layer Cake Shop) and 2. the picture. This is one of the random pics I took last year, I just used it to make my card complete. I'll take the real pics closer Christmas - probably the beginning of December. The hard part is deciding how many cards to make. I usually buy 75 cards from Costco (friends...family...everyone at church - and we have a smaller church) buuuuut this year I may have to revise my list, or something, I really don't know. We'll see what happens. I have enough goodies cut and ready for 35 cards. Plus, I've offered to make my grandma's Christmas cards this year, as well. I'll see how I feel after making those. Maybe I'll have to take a little brake at that point. What I do know, is I am SO glad I'm getting an early start. Gives me some breathing room, I think, I am a beginner at this afterall (I have no idea what I've gotten myself into). But I sure had lots of fun with it so far. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!!

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic Heather! It is so detailed and lovely! Your kids are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely LOVE this, what a cuuuuuute pic too, wow!

    ReplyDelete